From:
Matthew Valenic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Valenic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2018 10:56:36 -0400
We have received the following notice from the mayor of South Russell
Village who asked that it be passed along to birders.

"The Village of South Russell will host a meeting on Monday, April 23, 6:30
p.m. about possible changes to the seventeen acres of parkland on East
Washington (South Russell Village Park).   Anyone who has a concern about
birds might want to attend."

The village knows how important the park has become to birders, especially
as a breeding environment for Bobolinks (they prefer hay fields over mixed
vegetation for breeding), Eastern Meadowlark, Savannah Sparrows and other
field species.   They want to present possible changes and give interested
parties an opportunity for input.  The village has made good choices in
favor of the environment and the Bobolinks and they are good stewards in
their roles as elected officials.  This is the kind of public discourse most
people ask for of government and I hope anyone attending will do so with a
positive attitude and offer constructive comments.

South Russell Village Park is an eBird HOTSPOT.  90 species have been
reported since the park opened a few years ago.  A July 4, 2017 checklist
showed 42 species, most of which can be considered 'breeding birds' in the
hay fields, forest, edge and mixed field  habitats under the power lines.
It receives a lot of use by area residents for birding, jogging, and walking
(people and dogs!).  A picnic pavilion was constructed in 2017 on the Bell
Road side near the street and has received a lot of use by people and
nesting Barn Swallows!

Thanks,

Matt Valencic

"It is in giving that we receive."