OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2017

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2017 15:26:44 +0000
There was a good movement of birds at Lake Erie Bluffs Metropark in Lake County this morning.  It seems like it has been a while since we have had food migration conditions up here along the lake.  There was strong southwest winds and the whole time I watched there was only a few peeks of sunshine so while there were quite a few vultures, only a few hawks were seen so far.

The best birds were a group of very vocal fish crows that were headed to the east.  Their calls were loud and distinctive.  Other birds of note were 2 lesser yellowlegs, 2 lesser black-backed gulls, 1 merlin, 2 purple martins, 9 tree swallows, and a savannah sparrow.

Lake Erie Bluffs Metropark--Lane Rd., Lake, Ohio, US
Mar 24, 2017 7:10 AM - 10:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Weather was mostly cloudy with strong southwest winds.
57 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose  26
Wood Duck  18
American Wigeon  4
Mallard  6
Greater Scaup  16
Lesser Scaup  24
Greater/Lesser Scaup  65
Bufflehead  2
Common Goldeneye  1
Hooded Merganser  2
Red-breasted Merganser  492
Common Loon  2
Horned Grebe  11
Great Blue Heron  1
Turkey Vulture  223
Sharp-shinned Hawk  4
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  8
Rough-legged Hawk  1
Killdeer  37
Lesser Yellowlegs  2
Ring-billed Gull  421
Herring Gull  220
Lesser Black-backed Gull  2     One first cycle and one third cycle
Great Black-backed Gull  2
Mourning Dove  111
Belted Kingfisher  2
Downy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  8
American Kestrel  9
Merlin  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  380
Fish Crow  1     Four very vocal fish crows were observed heading east.  Their nasal calls were easily identifiable as fish crows.  There were several american crows also flying in the area, but not close enough for size comparison
Purple Martin  2
Tree Swallow  9
Black-capped Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  3
Eastern Bluebird  3
American Robin  280
European Starling  145
Cedar Waxwing  6
American Tree Sparrow  11
Fox Sparrow  2
Dark-eyed Junco  22
Savannah Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  156     Numerous migrant flocks of 20-30 birds were seen in several areas
Swamp Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  1
Northern Cardinal  22
Red-winged Blackbird  1500