OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2013 12:06:48 -0500
Julie Karlson, Larry Jeanblanc, and I were looking over a flock of gulls at
the north end of the reservoir. The gulls were mostly Ring-billed Gulls with
several Bonaparte's Gulls and a few Herring Gulls. This gull was a first
year gull that was mostly brown. The bill was black. The legs were hidden
behind other gulls. There were always Herring Gulls near it to compare to.
This bird was just a little smaller than the Herring Gulls but the big
difference was in the size of the bill and head and shape of the head. The
head was smaller than the Herring Gulls and more rounded. The bill was a
little shorter and just a bit thinner. We were maybe about 50 yards away and
looking through a scope at 55 power so we had great looks at it. After
several minutes the bird flew away while the other gulls remained. The wings
and tail did not look as black as would be expected on a Herring Gull.

From the overlook near the southwest part of the lake we saw a Red-throated
Loon. There were also a couple Common Loons on the lake. There were a few
ducks but duck season is open today and they were wary. Tomorrow the duck
season will be closed here for a couple weeks.

Doug Overacker
Springfield, Ohio