OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2008

From:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
troy shively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 19:48:16 -0400
To all,
I'll probably burn some bridges here, and I know its probably foolish to reply, but I've always been a fool.  I think Bill Whan was just saying that people are putting way too much weight into his post as apposed to full description from the people who saw the bird in question itself.  I don't know about other people, but I think the discussion has going to bashing people again and doing counter points to other points that are counter points themselves.  It reminds of students arguing over something in my class.  This is not productive.  Kenn, you shouldn't be "clarifying" anyones post.  If you want to add your own ideas they are greatly appreciated, but come on, be a little more tactful of it.  I think the discussion has reached a point where it no longer needs to take place on here, since its now well known that Juvenile horned lark is a likely candidate.  We all know to watch out for it.  But taking other peoples post and disecting it point by point is not civilized.  Lets leave the write up to the records committee and let them decide.  I don't think Bill is trying to stick up for his friends, I think he is just saying it takes guts to tell someone what they did or didn't see without having seen it yourself.  And if it hasn't been said that the observers are wrong, it has been implied quite well.  I just think there should be one email discussing the similarities between juvenile larks and the pipit, then any other points/counterpoints should be off list or it starts to sound like an "I'm right/ no I'm right" arguement.  People its a bird! Its not worth it.  Lets move on. And to repeat your own words Kenn "I don't think that post did you any favors," because I always had a great respect for you, but I think you were kind of attacking Bill, and fairly or unfairly, it belonged in private emails, not on the list.  I don't like being wrong about people, and I hope I'm not.
Oh and though I'm a hypocrite who replied onlist.....lol.....please reply offlist if you have a reply so we can move on.
Troy Shively