OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2016

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2016 01:25:25 +0000
 I took advantage of the nice weather today and headed to Oxbow Road to clean and do maintenance on my Prothonotary Warbler nest boxes there. The rains from Sunday night proved to be my biggest obstacle as it created mud somewhat like wet clay. The mud caked to my boots making them heavy and it acted like they were its food for the day. The sound of my boots being yanked out of the mud make a sound worthy of the movie Ghostbusters. Me and the boots did make it through the morning. I got my reward for this obstacle course before the morning was done. All boxes cleaned and mother nature gifted me with some nice birds.
I worked my way around the shore line working on each box as I reached it until I got to the north tip area f Oxbow Island. I stopped to refresh myself with a drink of water as I sat on a log. Then I realized that there were birds flitting about in the trees and a few on the ground. I always take my binoculars when I clean and I took the out to see who was about. There was a variety of warblers although mostly only one or two of most species. American Redstarts topped the count with 7. Others included Tennessee, Nashville, Magnoila, Cape May, Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, Blackpoll, Bay-breasted, Black & White, Pine and an Orange-crowned Warbler. As I exited the path from the wooded area to the road to the launc I spotted a single bird moving in the underbrush, a Connecticut Warbler. All told there were no more than 30 individuals, but it still was a wonderful flourish of warblers.
Some of the other species I observed were an Osprey, an adult Bald Eagle, 2 Blue-winged Teal, a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, lots of Cedar Waxwings and many of the common species expected in the area.
Charlie Bombaci