OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2022

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2022 23:09:39 -0400
Still quiet but watched a Brown Thrasher being harassed by what appeared to be a family group of catbirds. An juvenile E Towhee came over to see what the commotion was. Sort of odd behavior or at least, I’ve not seen those 2 species mixing it up.

YB Cuckoo calling, no Black-billed. Great Blue Heron. Wood Ducks.

A couple juv Red-headed WPs flew through. Only warbler was a singing Com YT.

White-eyed Vireos singing, saw & heard Red-eyed.

“My” juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk was perched high in a tree this morning being mobbed by Blue Jays and a few crows. It disappeared but came back to my backyard a few times in the afternoon to do his perch and pounce hunting of earthworms or insects, whatever it’s finding. I spoke to a rehabber just in case and she commented that usually the youngsters aren’t on their own until mid or late August so it’s possible it’s still getting fed by the adults (unless something happened to them). It does not seem to be in any distress & isn’t screaming to be fed. Appears to fly well.

It fixated on a gray squirrel for a time but didn’t try to go after it, then the squirrel made a quick exit.

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone