OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2007

From:
Jim Glover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Glover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:41:13 -0400
I visited the Miller's place in Walnut Creek, Holmes County, twice
yesterday.  Two of the young Miller boys spent an hour and a half
taking me far up the valley behind their house searching for the
flock of white-crowned sparrows that the Harris's keeps company with,
all to no avail.  They said that as the weather has improved and new
food sources have become available, the birds seem to be wandering
farther afield.  They thought that this week might be when they'd see
the bird move on.

The last confirmed sighting was early Monday at the feeder in their
front yard.  This doesn't mean the bird is gone, but at least more
hit-and-miss.  I signed in as #404 in their notebook, and took a box
of donuts as a "thank you" for their help and hospitality to the
birding community.

As an added bonus, my mother sat in the car while I was out on
safari.  She has little interest in birds, but excitedly told me
she'd seen a red-bellied woodpecker while I was gone.  She got out my
Sibley's guide and found the woodpecker pages to confirm.  She said,
"I was pretty sure that's what it was, but then it started pecking on
the tree, and I was certain!"   God works in mysterious ways!

Good luck to other seekers!

Jim Glover
Wildlife and Landscape Painter
Northwest Columbus