OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2022

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 17:47:43 -0500
Anxious to get a walk in despite the cold, I first went to the Denison bio reserve but finding the parking lot full, I drove over to the land lab and I’m very glad I did. It ended up being a great hawk day there. I first saw two N Harriers, one a male in almost full adult plumage and the other an immature. I possibly had a third harrier later but they were moving around quite a bit so that one could’ve been one of the two I originally saw.

Then I heard/saw some crows mobbing a raptor and looked up expecting to see one of the harriers and instead they were harassing a light morph Rough-legged, my first of the year! Both the harrier and Rough-legged are new to my Land Lab list and I think also new to my Granville list. The Rough-legged perched for a short while but then flew off to the east after making a couple quick passes over the fields. I did not see it again. Lovely bird.

 I then saw two Red-tailed hawks and finished the walk with seeing a beautiful adult Red-shouldered. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that many hawks at the Land Lab on the same visit.

The only other birds were starlings, Song Sparrows and I heard bluebirds. A couple hundred honking Canada Geese flew over in loose V formations.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad