OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2007

From:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:53:02 -0400
Dan Sanders, Jay Lehman and myself spent Saturday and Sunday looking for
sparrows. Major stops included Funk, Dike 14, Wendy Park, and the new
Lorain Impoundment. We ended up with 15 species of sparrows:

E. Towhee
American Tree Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Clay-colored Sparrow (Dike 14 near the ranger's office)
Field Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Le Conte's Sparrow (Funk)
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow (Lorain Impoundment in the short grass
next to the parking area. A lifer for me).
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eye Junco

We also had a Saw-whet Owl at Headlands.

There was a huge movement of both Kinglets and Winter Wrens. I would
estimate several hundred of each Kinglet species and at least two dozen
Winter Wrens. At the Lorain Impoundment (which is apparently going to be
a spoils area for dredging) there was the largest concentration of
White-crowned Sparrows that I have ever seen. I won't hazard a guess at
the number.

In all we ended up with 74 species of birds with excellent looks at each
of the Sparrow species.

Good Birding

John Habig
261 Lantis Dr.