OHIOAIR Archives

September 2000

OHIOAIR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Larry Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ohio Association for Institutional Research (Ohio AIR)
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 14:59:20 -0400
Ok....allow me to end this problem that I unknowingly began earlier today!

I see the error of my ways....I did, in fact, download the DI file as a spreadsheet,
thus causing the file to have quotes around each entry.  Diane Mack and
Terry King helped me to see what I did wrong.  There is nothing, I REPEAT...
NOTHING wrong with the HEI programming and if I stated, either implicitly
or explicitly, that there was, I sincerely apologize.

It's true what someone once said (I think it was Will Rogers!)....

there's no fool like an old fool!  *blush*

I promise not to cause an uproar statewide ever again.
I promise not to cause an uproar statewide ever again.
I promise not to cause an uproar statewide ever again.
I promise not to cause an uproar statewide ever again.
I promise not to cause an uproar statewide ever again.
I promise not to cause an uproar statewide ever again.
I promise not to cause an uproar statewide ever again.
I promise not to cause an uproar statewide ever again.
I promise not to cause an uproar statewide ever again.
I promise not to cause an uproar statewide ever again.
etc., etc., etc....

Embarrassingly yours...

LH

:-)

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/21/00 02:32PM >>>
Did you download from the Regents' site by clicking the "Text" button or by
clicking the "Spreadsheet" button?

Downloading to a spreadsheet and then saving the spreadsheet as a text file
may cause double-quotes to surround each line of data, depending on the
spreadsheet software you are using.  Note that each line of data is a single
cell in the spreadsheet (there's only one column!); those double-quotes are
enclosing a single text entry.

Downloading straight to a text file will not put in the double-quotes.

Diane Mack
Senior Research Analyst
Office of Institutional Research
Ohio University