OHIOAIR Archives

February 2001

OHIOAIR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Larry Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ohio Association for Institutional Research (Ohio AIR)
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 14:54:15 -0500
Hello all!

Please allow me to interrupt your busy work day for a few minutes.
Thank you!  I do not know how many of you have seen this already, but
I thought it was pertinent and something that should be shared.

As you can see below, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
is soliciting feedback from us as IR professionals relative to the
"provisional guidance for the implementation of the 1997 Standards for
Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity."  In other words, OMB wants us
to click on the links provided in this e-mail and give our opinions
on what we see in regard to the new race and ethnicity reporting
standards.

The e-mail gives information as to where to send these comments.
Please take some time to look over the links and respond.  It is
vital that our voices be heard.  The window for feedback closes
Monday, March 19, 2001.  That is why I did not want to wait until
the Spring Conference (to be held March 16) to address this issue.
The new standards for reporting race and ethnicity will strongly
affect not only us as IR professionals but people all across our
campuses.  Please share this with anyone on your campuses
whom you think may be impacted by these changes
(admissions directors, registration directors/registrars, computer
programmers, etc.).

Certainly, we can discuss this issue at our Spring Conference, but
I wanted to give you the opportunity to look at these links, think about them,
and reply with your comments, if you so desire.  Three days (from
March 16 until March 19) simply would not be enough time to digest
all of this information.  During the conference, we can discuss the idea
of sending a message to OMB with all of our feedback (sort of as an
"official" OAIRP response), but please feel free to send your own
individual comments to OMB in the meantime.

Thank you again for the opportunity to share this with you.

Larry Hunter
2000-2001 OAIRP President

* NEWS - 1997 Standards for Federal Data on Race & Ethnicity         *
*  Timothy Chow, Rose-Hulman IT, ([log in to unmask])      *

 The OMB (Office of Management and Budget) has recently released
 provisional guidance for the implementation of the 1997 Standards
 for Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity, and is asking for public
 comment on any aspect of the document for a period of 60 days
 (by March 19, 2001).  Please send your comments to:
 Katherine K. Wallman, Chief Statistician
 OMB, Rm. 10201, New Executive Office Building
 725 17th Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20503
 fax: (202) 395-7245

 Federal Registry Notice: (1/16/2001; Document Size=13k)
 http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg/r&e_guidance_notice.pdf

 Provisional Guidance: (12/15/2000; Document Size=204k)
 http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/inforeg/r&e_guidance2000update.pdf

 Appendix A-Standards for Maintaining, Collecting, and Presenting
 Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity: (Document Size=13k)
 http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/inforeg/r&e_app-a-update.pdf

 Appendix B-Guidance on Aggregation and Allocation of Data on Race
 for Use in Civil Rights Monitoring and Enforcement: (Document
 Size=12k)
 http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/inforeg/r&e_app-b-update.pdf

 Appendix C-The Bridge Report: Tabulation Options for Trend Analysis:
 (Document Size=215k)
 http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/inforeg/r&e_app-c&tables.pdf

 Please contact: Suzann Evinger by telephone at (202) 395-7315 or
 by e-mail mailto:[log in to unmask] for further information.