OHIOAIR Archives

October 2007

OHIOAIR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nancy Roszell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ohio Association for Institutional Research (Ohio AIR)
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:10:09 -0400
Richard,

Our adjunct pay scale is based on the highest degree earned and the
college-level teaching experience of the adjunct.  It has not been
subject-specific at all.

I do have a study performed last fall of pay scales for our area.  I
am happy to forward this to you if you wish.  It addresses base rates
but not practices by area.

At 09:48 AM 10/25/2007, you wrote:
>Good morning,
>
>I am seeking information regarding practices with adjunct faculty salary.
>
>We have some base rate variation for adjunct faculty but for the
>most part pay per credit hour is uniform. An exception, for example,
>are adjunct faculty in accounting who are paid at a higher rate than the norm.
>
>I am not concerned with incremental increases to pay which depend on
>years of experience either at one's own institution or elsewhere or
>the highest degree earned, but just the base rate.
>
>Our department chairs, particularly those in Arts & Sciences,
>believe that it may be necessary now to set the base rate at the
>department level much more broadly. In other words, each academic
>department may have its own pay structure for adjuncts.
>
>As these issues effect coverage of introductory general education or
>liberal arts courses most often, such as college algebra, a first
>course in Spanish or intro to psychology, I am interested in hearing
>of practices of both 2 year and 4 year schools.
>
>Thanks if you can help,
>
>Richard
>
>Richard Pulskamp, PhD
>Director of Institutional Research