OHIOFIRE Archives

September 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Vince Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:31:56 -0600
The University of New Mexico has installed CPVC in our new dormitory. We
find it very easy to install, and cost effective. We did prohibit the
piping in areas subject to normally high temperatures (such as mechanical
rooms) and in areas where the pipe may be exposed to the fire such as
elevator shafts, in rooms with no ceiling such as custodial rooms and
storage rooms with exposed pipe. I would caution other universities to
watch out for one thing with their contractors. CPVC piping does need
additional bracing/hangers. I had to stay on top of our contractor who was
not providing adequate support for the pipe near the head. The normal 3
foot rule does not always work with CPVC. I was able to grab several
sprinkler heads and move them as much as 4 inches. Ensure that
hangers/bracing are included within 12 inches of the head to eliminate sway.

--On Friday, September 21, 2001 12:36 AM -0400 Automatic digest processor