OHIOFIRE Archives

April 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Paul Sincaglia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 14:29:05 -0400
Chris-

Out of nothing but coincidence, my wife is an Otterbien Alum.

Anyway, your first line of defense is the Ohio Fire Code (BOCA for you folks
outside OH):

(3) F-402.3 Candles:
A person shall not utilize or allow to be utilized, any open flame, burning
candle or candles in connection with any public meeting or gathering for
purposes of deliberation, worship, entertainment, amusement, instruction,
education, recreation, awaiting transportation or similar purpose in
assembly or educational occupancies without first obtaining approval.

F-402.3.1 Egress:
Candles shall not be permitted in areas where occupants stand, or in an
aisle or exit.

As far as "approval", that belongs to the primary AHJ...I presume
Westerville FD...if they have no objection, then I suppose it is up to you.

Beyond that, you could also enforce the items on Open Burning.  From a code
standpoint it is a bit of stretch, but the definition of open burning is
wide enough that it seems to cover it.

If somebody were to press the issue further, Section 402.1 of the Ohio Fire
code makes it clear that any open flame or light (which a candle is) needs
to be in a glass globe or wire mesh cage.  Once you add those items, almost
all typical candles are out anyway.

Also, if you need to mount a stronger defense, go to NFPA's website.  I
believe they have some candle fire data.  It is really pretty harsh
statistically and should make a desire to ban or significantly limit use of
candles on campus pretty easy.

If you need anything else, feel free to give me a call

Good Luck

Paul E. Sincaglia, P.E.
Firesafety Solutions, Inc.
Chagrin Falls, OH