OHIOFIRE Archives

February 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Randy Horman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 09:04:54 -0500
Good Morning to all.

Over the past few weeks (since we started having some consistant e-mail
traffic on the list) I have received questions about the digest version.
Many folks have asked me just what is the digest version, and how it looks
when it is sent out.

The digest is send out daily or every few days depending on how busy the
list is. It contains all of the activity for the time period listed. You do
not get individual messages everytime someone sends a posting. You just get
one message.

I have enclosed a copy of one of the latest digests distributed.

If you are interested in receiving your campus fire safety information in
this fashion, please E-MAIL ME DIRECTLY  at [log in to unmask]   Please DO
NOT E-MAIL THE LIST REQUESTING THIS INFORMATION. Remember, messages you
send to the list are distributed to every member of the list. This will
require that you create a new message (cutting and pasting my e-mail
address). Please do not hit the reply button. :)

Here is copy of the what the digest looks like.

Have a good day, e-mail me directly [log in to unmask] with any additional
questions.

-randy-

=====>

>Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:14:33 -0500
>From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: OHIOFIRE Digest - 20 Jan 2000 to 24 Jan 2000 (#2000-15)
>
>There are 13 messages totalling 1383 lines in this issue.
>
>Topics of the day:
>
>  1. AP story on Ignoring Fire Alarms (2)
>  2. Additional Seton Hall info.
>  3. Fatal fires involving student housing
>  4. AP Story on residence hall sprinkler systems and smoking
>  5. Fire at Heidelberg College - Ohio
>  6. dorms-fires (2)
>  8. RA training programs (4)
>  9. New Mexico Dorm Fire

>Date:    Mon, 24 Jan 2000 07:44:19 -0500
>From:    Randy Horman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: AP story on Ignoring Fire Alarms
>
>Ignoring alarms, real or false, is common
>

>January 20, 2000
>

>(AP) -- Julie Reynolds can't remember what she
>ate, or the name of the New York restaurant where it happened. Years
>after a fire alarm interrupted her meal, what sticks in her mind is the
>dumbstruck look of diners peering up from their plates as she and her
>companions fled. It turned out there was no fire. But Reynolds, a
>spokeswoman for the National Fire Protection Association, was
>practicing what her job has taught her: Don't ignore fire alarms.
>

>That's what many of the 640 Seton Hall University students did early
>Wednesday when a killer fire erupted in their dormitory. Boland Hall
>had shuddered with false alarms 18 times since September. Experts say
>indifference to any alarm is common. "It's pervasive in our society,"
>Reynolds said. "People in general don't think fire is going to happen
>to them. They think they're safest in the places they're least safe."
>People ignore alarms "because they don't think they're real," said
>George Burke, spokesman for the Washington-based International
>Association of Fire Fighters, a union more than 230,000 strong.
>

> "That's why false alarms are so dangerous," Burke said. "It puts the
>people who ignore the alarms in jeopardy, and the lives of firefighters
>in jeopardy." Guylene Proulx of the National Research Council of Canada
>in Ottawa has studied fire and human behavior and come up with four
>reasons why alarms are ignored:
>
>-- The alarm isn't recognized as an alarm. Beepers, whoopers, trumpets,
>continuous or intermittent -- all are fire alarm variations. (Proulx is
>working with the National Fire Protection Association to promote a
>standard alarm for North America that sounds three times, pauses, then
>repeats.)
>
>-- Frequent false alarms induce complacency. That includes when fire
>alarms are tested and building occupants aren't alerted first.
>
>-- People feel it's not their responsibility. They believe managers
>will take care of it. Especially in public places like shopping malls
>and movie theaters, it's "I'll wait and see what happens," Proulx said.
>

>-- Peer pressure. People don't want to overreact and look foolish.
> [...]

Randall L. Hormann              [log in to unmask]
Miami University                6 Hughes Hall (EHSO)
Fire/Safety Specialist          Oxford, Ohio 45056
Fire Safety Inspector           Office: 513-529-2461
http://www.ehs.muohio.edu/      Fax:    513-529-2830
Page me Via  E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

State:  Fire Safety Inspector - Instructor (Ohio)
Chair:  International Assoc. of Campus Fire Safety Officials
Member: Ohio Fire Chiefs Assoc., Fire Code Committee.
Member: Ohio Fire Officials Association.
Advisor:Sigma Alpha Epsilon - Fraternity.
Advisor:Alpha Lambda Delta/Phi Eta Sigma - National Honor Society.