OHIOFIRE Archives

September 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dave Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:06:55 -0400
   Several questions were posed in the message regarding the use of CPVC pipe.   The message from Jim Robinson at The University of Maryland covered some of these issues and here is some more detail.
1.   As far as longevity goes CPVC piping has a 50 year life expectancy (with a safety factor of 2).  In general, CPVC piping lasts much longer and requires less maintenance compared to metallic piping systems.
2.  CPVC does not melt during a fire but instead forms an intumescent char on the surface that is exposed to the fire.  The temperature necessary to form this char is much higher than the activation temperature of the sprinkler heads used in the fire sprinkler system.
3.  There are many colleges and universities where CPVC fire spinkler systems have been successfully installed for many years.  A partial list includes Boston College, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, Cornell University, Mississipi State,  University of Texas at Austin, University of Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, Penn State University, University of Missouri,  Brown University, Georgetown University, University of Virginia, University of West Virginia, and University of Arkansas.