OHIOFIRE Archives

April 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Chris Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 08:05:31 -0500
We are also mulling over a candle policy here at Otterbein, we have a
small chapel here on campus, and have some people lobbying for candle
use for religious gatherings. We also discussed this topic at the last
meeting here in Columbus, where some administrators were allowing
"responsible" and "mature" adults that lived on campus, have candles,
but no students were allowed to have candles. I believe this is reckless
policy. it only takes one mishap (unattended candle burning, someone
tripping with candle in hand, etc...) to have tragic results!
Any policies and suggestions you might have would be greatly
appreciated, as i will print them and present them to our
administrators.
Thanks,
Chris Steiner
Safety & Security Officer