OHIOFIRE Archives

January 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Vincent Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:59:03 -0700
In answer to your question. The University of New Mexico has the
following procedures.

Our Housing office will levy fines on individual students for
infractions under their control and jurisdiction. Subsequent action
include dismissal from the dorm or from the school.

We work with the fraternities through our Greek Authorities at the
Student Services Dept. Infractions are handled through their office as
well as levying fines. We charge the fraternity for all damage to safety
equipment. Severe infractions result in the loss of their charter. We
have had one fraternity loose their charter through several infractions
of both fire safety and other Greek related problems. We shut down one
(animal house) fraternity when I first started working at the university
for excessive problems. They have since become the model fraternity.

For infractions beyond the control.of housing and the Greek Authorities.
We refer to the State Fire Marshal since they are the AHL. The city does
not have citation jurisdiction on campus. The SFM will issue citations,
cease and desist orders, court injunctions but rarely issues a fine. We
have only had to use these options on two occasions in the past 6 years
since our designated agent program was put in effect. Our office has
been able to handle most situations without the need for the SFM.

We do have the option of calling in OSHA where OSHA standards reflect
fire safety issues. This has been used only once by a new employee who
was not aware of our Safety office. OSHA came to look at the problem but
was satisfied by the fact that we corrected the problem the same day.

Hi everybody, the question for the list I have today is, who is
responsible for imposing fines
and penalties related to fire and safety at your institution or facility
after an inspection
has been performed.
Also who enforces this once the fines have been imposed on a student.
What further actions do you take if the student does not correct the
violation. Is it the
responsibility of the Fire and Safety person,The SLC,Dean of Students or
who. Does anyone hyave
a fine list that they would like to share? We are still trying to get
all our safety programs
started up and running here. If anyone can give me some answers or
assistance in this I would
greatly appreciate it.

                                         Thanks:

--
Tim Miller  /Maint. Dept. / Fire and Safety Coordinator
University of Rio Grande