OHIOFIRE Archives

December 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Tom Demint <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:33:25 -0700
The Uniform Fire Code and the International Fire Code strictly prohibit daisy chaining power taps (strips) together.  The 1997 UFC states in 8508.3 that power taps (defined as power strips) "shall be directly connected to a permanently installed receptacle.  You will find the exact same wording in the IFC (2000) section 605.4.2.

I also believe that daisy chaining the power taps together is contrary to their UL listing.

>>> Paul Sincaglia <[log in to unmask]> 12/12 6:49 PM >>>
A quick question:
  Tim Ritchey  stated:
   ...   with the longer tails to insure they do not plug them together in
series,  also a violation.

  Why is this a violation?  Our Fire prevention Bureau permits daisy
chaining these things together because the circuit remains protected at the
primary circuit breaker (in the electrical cabinet) and the individual
circuit breaker in each power strip.  Because of this, you could fill the
first power strip with 6 additional strips that all power more strips
etc.(obviously this has both practical and physical limitations in reality)
but no matter how many you put together, the primary power strip will trip
at the amp rating of the strip itself if the current draw is too high. With
a current protected circuit, I see no current draw hazard.  Tripping and
aesthetics...that's another issue.

  Paul Sincaglia, Lieutenant
  Chagrin Falls Fire Department
  Chagrin Falls, OH