OHIOFIRE Archives

January 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Paul Sincaglia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 08:11:13 -0500
Just a thought from a lurker....

I agree that drills for dorms is a great idea since that is the likely to be
the area of greatest risk.  However, if I were a paying student(or parent),
I would be very annoyed if someone conducted a fire drill during classes
just to satisfy a desire to maintain safety.  These ADULTS are paying
hundreds of $$ an hour for instruction time  (its actually pretty scary if
you do the math).  Loss of 20 minutes or more to me is unacceptable.

I think it would be more effective to enact a stringent, very public policy
on fire alarms in classroom buildings that fined students for not evacuating
and even greater fines for profs who do not "lead" to the exits upon
recognizing a fire alarm.  As I am sure you have all seen more than once, if
your boss isn't up and leaving, you wont either.

Just my $.05

Paul E. Sincaglia, P.E.
Firesafety Solutions, Inc.
Chagrin Falls, OH