PARTNERS Archives

February 2011

PARTNERS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
BRUCE FRIESEN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Partners Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 17:23:49 -0500
Thanks for your feedback, Sarah.  I too have students evaluate others in their group when doing group projects.  Though I have them use a detailed rubric, the few times this system has been challenged is when one student, accused of not pulling her or his weight, denies it and instead suggests that the student doing the evaluating is the group's sluggard and is being vindictive.

On these rare occasions I can usually sort out where the truth is (our class sizes are small).  The difficulty of sorting this out where students from other institutions are working together, though, makes me hesitant to depend on a group grade for even part of the assignment.  I'm happy to defer to the wisdom of the partners on this (if indeed we all need to use the same manner of grading), but it seems to me that discerning the amount of work of group members from other institutions (or mine) and holding them accountable creates a challenging obstacle.

Bruce Friesen
University of Tampa