PARTNERS Archives

September 2012

PARTNERS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Coates, Rodney D. Dr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Partners Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:56:54 -0400
The list is intended to be suggestive not exhaustive, so yes. Please do add any topic you feel important.  One caveat, the primary purpose of these topics is to illicit group membership.  Therefore, please ask your students, as suggested by Emee, to pick their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice of topics.  As well as whether or not they will be doing a service learning or a case study.  Finally, the question is will the development of a syllabus satisfy either of the case study or the service learning goals of the group project.  This is a question that the Partners must answer.

Here are the goals from our syllabus of the service learning and case study group projects:

                Service learning option: Students will collaboratively participate in a minimum of 10 hours of volunteer service and will write a group reflection paper connecting their service experience to course material.  Specifically, the service learning projects aims to provide students with an opportunity to explore course material in real world experiences.  Students will individually write reflective journal entries pertaining to the projects, their efforts, course readings and discussions.

                Case study option: Alternatively, students may opt to work on a group case study. Student groups will investigate globalization, human rights, and social justice from a particular country or region.  Students will collaboratively participate to research and write a group reflection paper connecting their research to course material.  Specifically, the case study projects aims to provide students with an opportunity to explore course material through real world experiences and data.  Students will individually write reflective journal entries pertaining to the projects, their efforts, course readings and discussions. You may want to consider swapping country research to better understand how different countries view each other (ex: American students research Russia, while Russian students research the United States on a particular issue).
rdc