RESCOMP Archives

March 2009

RESCOMP@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Hank Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Research Computing Support <[log in to unmask]>, Hank Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:26:00 -0400
Hi folks (and Dennis),
I need to install (?) a small function on my system (unix on a Mac)
called detex. There is an older version already there, and I would
like to install the latest from Google Source Code (opendetex).

I occasionally have to do this sort of thing for other small
applications, and I was wondering if anyone could explain ( short
tutorial ) the typical steps to install, make, etc. for a tarball'd
source code file.  I attached the archive I want to install today,
which I got from Google code.

I found the following code for installing PHP, and I am thinking it is
close to what I need (minus the PHP and apache stuff). It would be
great if someone code trim this down, and provide **comments or
explanations for what each step is doing** that apply generally -- or
a link to a pre-made tutorial would be great.

Steps
1.  gunzip apache_1.3.x.tar.gz
2.  tar xvf apache_1.3.x.tar
3.  gunzip php-x.x.x.tar.gz
4.  tar xvf php-x.x.x.tar
5.  cd apache_1.3.x
6.  ./configure --prefix=/www
7.  cd ../php-x.x.x
8.  ./configure --with-mysql --with-apache=../apache_1.3.x --enable-
track-vars
9.  make
10. make install
11. cd ../apache_1.3.x
12. ./configure --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
13. make
14. make install
15. cd ../php-x.x.x
16. cp php.ini-dist /usr/local/lib/php.ini
17. Edit your httpd.conf or srm.conf file and add:
       AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

18. Use your normal procedure for restarting the Apache server. (You
must
     stop and restart the server, not just cause the server to reload by
     use a HUP or USR1 signal.)

Thanks,

Hank

Hank Stevens [log in to unmask] "E Pluribus Unum"