RESCOMP Archives

September 2010

RESCOMP@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Woods, David M. Dr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Research Computing Support <[log in to unmask]>, Woods, David M. Dr.
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:49:41 -0400
Hi,

  Yes, Stata 10 is installed on the Redhawk cluster.  It was installed at the request of faculty from the economics department in the business school, who were already using Stata on the local PCs and wanted to use the cluster for larger problems.   Stata has extensive online help, but we do not offer any instruction on the use of Stata - the current Stata users on the cluster have not needed any training.

  Our license limits Stata to installation on the cluster.  As I mentioned Stata is also used in the business school, but those licenses are purchased by the business school.  Stata does sell heavily discounted licenses for educational use on their web site - http://www.stata.com/ .

  Also, I believe that SPSS and SAS do have strong graphics features, and can handle complex data sets.  I have asked my colleague Jon Patton to follow up with you on this, since he does a lot of work with both SPSS and SAS.  Also, Miami's licenses for both SPSS and SAS do allow them to be installed on university owned PCs.

  Please let me know if you are interested in more info about using Stata on the Redhawk cluster or have any other questions.

Dave

David Woods, Ph. D
Assistant Director for Research Computing
347 Gaskill Hall
Miami University
(513) 529-1857