SAKAIGOV Archives

March 2011

SAKAIGOV@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
IT Services Sakai Gov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2011 12:48:38 -0500
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Yau, Yvonne Pui-Shan Ms.
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> To follow up on today's meeting, attached is the powerpoint presentation.

Thanks Yvonne.

So I apologize if I was a little more testy than necessary today. But
to boil down my argument on the Campus Pack issue here:

From a 10,000-foot view, investing resources into proprietary
alternatives to Sakai functionality effectively crowds out investment
into Sakai itself. So rather than contributing to fixing issues in
Sakai, we're simply content to say "if that doesn't work for you, just
use Campus Pack."

Moreover, we then create different constituencies of users of campus:
some using Sakai itself, and others dependent on proprietary
alternatives.

For comparison, here's information on work I mentioned sponsored by
rSmart and Marist College on integrating xwiki into Sakai.

<https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/SAKDEV/XWiki+Integration>

I'd rather us take this approach, and fully commit to Sakai.
--
Bruce D'Arcus
Associate Professor, Graduate Director