SCHOLEAD Archives

October 1997

SCHOLEAD@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nick Webber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scholar Leaders at Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 22:01:37 +0000
As the famous 20th century philosopher Robert Zimmerman once said --
                "I was so much older then...I am younger than that now!"

In our  lives here at Miami we are constantly engaged in
the pursuit of lofty goals, all of which (in most cases) have one
particular end in mind-- that is the  attainment of an established
role in the adult, work-a-day world which exists just beyond the
halls of Miami.  We are interested in becoming lawyers, engineers,
policy writers, doctors, CEO's-- you
name it- students here, including myself,  have very mature and
very high  standards for the future.  This is good and all, but I
often times think that within the search for these goals, especially
in the college years, we miss out on the things that matter most.
For instance, I feel we are blessed with one of the most beautiful
campuses in the country.  Miami University mixed with  Fall often
brings with it images of what is right with life-- but lately I have
been ignoring this.  I have been  so busy attaining my goals-my
A's-My leadership credentials-my future, that I have failed to
realize that Fall is as good as gone, and with it are the excellent
opportunities to enjoy evolution's creation.  Before I turn this into
a dissertation, I would just like to remind everyone that Fall is
as good as gone, and as we discuss leadership, community building
religion and other Academic manifestations, there are children
playing with leaves, they are laughing with each other, they are
testing the limits of such terms as- fun, liberty and freedom.  Now
I am not saying that it is necessary to ignore the urgency that
academia and the future impose upon us, but I am pleading for us all
to begin listening to the child's voice which resides in us all,
because once that voice dies-- it never comes back!

                                                                Nick

Life is a dance..not a race.
                                -- Some dude