SPEDNET Archives

February 1999

SPEDNET@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami University Special Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:29:29 PST
Members of the listserve involved in special education:

I am in the last stages of writing my doctoral dissertation on the role
of applied linguistics in bilingual special education. While I have made
a strong theoretical case that the role is a crucial one, I am still
lacking specifics about HOW it helps.

If anyone involved in special education assessment would be
interested/able to take a few moments to respond to this questionnaire,
I would be most appreciative.

Please return to:
Karen L. Christensen
(Asst. Prof. of Spanish & Program Coordinator of the
Bilingual/Bicultural Special Education Masters Training Program)
Mercyhurst College
501 E. 38th St.
Erie, PA  16546

Tel. 814/824-2120
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

A. General Information
Name: _______________________________________________________________

Title/Position: ______________________________________________________

School: _____________________________________________________________

How many years have you been in the education field? _________________

How are you involved with bilingual or special education instruction or
assessment?

B. Assessment of Experience and Background
Please rate your experience and/or background in the following aspects:

1. Knowledge of issues related to bilingual education

Extensive               Adequate                        Some                    None

2. Knowledge of issues related to second language acquisition and/or
applied linguistics?

Extensive               Adequate                        Some                    None

3. Knowledge of bilingual assessment procedures and tools

Extensive               Adequate                        Some                    None

4. The role of social factors in language acquisition and usage

Extensive               Adequate                        Some                    None

5. Ability to distinguish between second language acquisition
difficulties and true learning differences

Extensive               Adequate                        Some                    None

C. Concerns
Regarding the above categories, or any others related to bilingual
education and special education, please list what you consider to be
concerns or  knowledge gaps  in your experience and how they relate to
your current academic responsibilities: