SWE Archives

November 1999

SWE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Gretchen Caron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Society of Women Engineers at Miami University <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 22:44:14 EST
Hey everyone,

   I would like inform you of the progress that we've made up to this point
with the observation deck.

   About a week ago, a few of us went down to Lowe's and took the design
with us for the observation deck.  We got many of our questions answered in
terms of how to build it and what materials we will need.  We actually
bought building plans for it!

   I talked to Mark Keller, the ranger at Camp Stonybrook, about a week ago.
  He answered some of the questions that we had about the observation deck.
He told us that he could provide the tools that we need to build the deck as
well as a portable generator to bring out on to the site.  He also said that
he has a lot of wood that we could use for the project.  I asked about where
he will buy the lumber that he doesn't have and he said that there is a
lumber store near the camp, Waynesville Lumber, where they will probably be
buying all the materials from.  He also said that they will have trucks to
transport the materials that we need.  He said that they have a workshop
there at the camp where we could build and store the staircase and the
benches that we talked about building this winter.

   I told him that we would submit a list of materials with their
approximate prices before Christmas.  He will look it over and check off the
materials that he already has.  He will then submit it to his boss, who will
look at the cost and okay it, hopefully.  He said that they were figuring
about spending $1500 on this.  I told him that we plan to visit this fall to
look at the site again and mark out the dimensions of the deck.  We also
need to finalize the dimensions and give him a revised drawing of the design
as well.  In the winter, I told him we would like to start building the
benches and staircase as well.  Then, we would start and finish building the
obs. deck in the spring over a series of about 3 weekends.  Dr. Schmahl
takes her Girlscouts there to camp and could arrange for us to camp out over
a weekend.

   At the meeting this past week, we started looking at the building plans
and worked on the list of materials.  Here is a tentative timeline that we
came up with at the last meeting as well:

NOVEMBER
   *  November 17th (Wed.), 5pm - work on bill of materials
   *  Complete bill of materials and fax list to Waynesville
      Lumber to receive quote for cost (include benches)
   *  Finalize dimensions and design (include benches)
DECEMBER
   *  December 5th (Sun.) - visit to Camp Stonybrook to check
      out site and mark out dimensions of observation deck.
      (I changed this date from the 4th to the 5th due to
      Senior Design presentations being held on the 4th.)
   *  Submit finalized bill of materials to Mark Keller
   *  Submit finalized design and dimensions to Mark Keller, as well
JANUARY - MARCH
   *  Build benches and staircase
   *  Order materials and finalize plans to build obs. deck
MARCH-MAY
   *  Pour cement for foundation
   *  Build observation deck
   *  Put shingles on roof
   *  Paint or stain obs. deck
   *  Completely finish it!

Another idea that I had was to have the Girls Scout Troops help us build
this!  Dr. Schmahl really liked that idea and said that we could probably
camp out with the girls for a weekend and work on it.  I think that this
would be a really good way to "reach out" to younger women and actually work
with them.

For those of you that have not attended any meetings for the observation
deck project, but might be interested, we could really use your help!  It is
never to late to jump in and help!

If anyone has any comments, questions, or concerns, feel free to call or
email me anytime.  Hope to see you at the next meeting, November 17th at
5pm!

Gretchen Caron
SWE President
529-8210