THEDRUM Archives

October 2005

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
RODNEY COATES <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
RODNEY COATES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:54:18 -0400
I don't think this made it through to the list, for some reason, so I'm
sending it again. Sorry for any duplications.

r coates

***

Call for Papers

"Conversations II: Western and Non-Western Philosophies"
Cave Hill Philosophy Symposium (CHIPS) 2006
University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus
Barbados, West Indies
2-3 March 2006

"It is a function, indeed a duty, of philosophy in any society to
examine the intellectual foundation of its culture." (Kwasi Wiredu)

Our inaugural meeting held early this year was devoted to the theme
"Conceptualising Philosophy". We now take a step further: we want to
discuss the relevance of different approaches to philosophy to
everyday concerns and live problems in human life and thought. We are
particularly concerned to promote dialogue between different
approaches to philosophy on common problems.

Philosophy is always for life and not life for philosophy. Philosophy
is a response to society and to social problems even though some
philosophers have attempted to divorce philosophy from society and to
study the subject in a vacuum. But this does not rule out the fact
that philosophy is a response to social problems. Even to study
philosophy in a vacuum is always a way of responding (negatively
perhaps) to the social conditions of one's society.

The Cave Hill Philosophy Symposium * Conversations II * is looking for
papers from Western and non-Western traditions that seek to address
the relevance of philosophy to live questions pertaining to man,
society and nature. The papers should focus on specific issues and
problems within any of the traditions. We are also interested in
papers that will attempt comparative analyses of the underpinnings of
the various philosophies or of concepts within the various regional
philosophies. The Symposium also welcomes papers of a theoretical
nature in the disciplines that share a boundary with philosophy,
disciplines such as, critical theory, cultural studies, law,
linguistics, mathematics and natural sciences, medicine, political
theory, theology, etc. These papers should grapple with the relevance
(or contribution) of particular philosophical ideas or approaches to
the disciplines in question.

In an effort to ensure well-prepared, quality presentations, abstracts
(300-500 words) are due by November 30, 2005. Participants whose
abstracts are accepted by the vetting committee will then be asked to
submit their completed papers (5-7 pages, single-spaced) via e-mail as
an attachment in either Word or Wordperfect by the firm deadline of
January 31, 2006. (These papers will then be posted on-line for other
participants to consult prior to the conference with the intention
that time at the Symposium can be devoted much more to discussion than
to exposition of the written papers.)

Deadlines:
Abstracts (300-500 words) due: November 30, 2005
Completed papers due: January 31, 2006

Limits:
Presentations must not exceed 20 minutes (5-7 pages, single spaced)

Contacts:
either e-mail:
Dr. Frederick Ochieng'-Odhiambo
Mr. Ed Brandon
Fr. Stephen Geofroy

or write via regular mail to:

The Organising Committee
"Conversations II"
CAVE HILL PHILOSOPHY SYMPOSIUM,
The Faculty of Humanities and Education,