THEDRUM Archives

October 2005

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cheryl Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:55:25 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to invite you to attend a lecture by Dr. Barbara Ransby on
Monday, October 24, 2005, in 212 MacMillan Hall. Barbara is an associate
professor in the Departments of African American Studies and History at the
University of Illinois at Chicago. A political activist and scholar,
Barbara has won several awards for her scholarship and biography, Ella
Baker and the Black Freedom Movement.  She also writes for the Progressive
Media Project, and her editorials appear in many national newspapers.  In
1998, Barbara Ransby helped to form the Black Radical Congress, an effort
to bring together progressive black writers, artists, scholars, and activists.

Barbara will arrive on Sunday, October 23rd, and I will arrange a dinner
with her, around 8pm.  If you would like to have dinner with her, please
let me know.  She has also agreed to attend classes before her talk, so let
me know if you would like to arrange such with her or if you would like to
have her meet with you and selected students.  Lunch is another possibility
to meet with her.  Copies of her book will be available for purchase at
MacMillan Hall, and she has agreed to sign copies after her talk.

Please announce Ransby's lecture to your students.  Many of our students
know about the role that black men played in the civil rights movement, but
not about black women.  Barbara is an absolutely gifted scholar and
activist; I am sure you and your students will enjoy her talk.  Please see
the attachment below for the poster announcing her presentation.

Sincerely,
Cheryl

Cheryl Johnson
Director, Women's Studies
Associate Professor of English
126 MacMillan Hall
Office: 513 529-4616
Fax:    513 529-1890

<file://c:\program%20files\qualcomm\eudora\attach\WMSPoster.pdf>WMSPoster.pdf