THEDRUM Archives

November 2005

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
RODNEY COATES <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
RODNEY COATES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:38:39 -0500
  As I look over the past half century, going from a youth of the 60's
to an established member of the middle class, I know that changes have
come.  I have seen my own life starting from the ghetto of E.St. Louis
through the swamps of Viet Nam and the hallowed halls of the University
of Chicago.  I have sang the chants of those drunk with cheap wine on
the corner poverty and despair, and have sank to near stupidity on still
cheap wine on the corner of the spiritual bankruptcy and loneliness.  I
have contemplated suicide when all was futile, and contemplated suicide
when all was nothing.  I have enjoyed the days when there was no one,
and have enjoyed the days when my life was filled with many. As I now
look at the situation of my being, I can truly say that I have been
blessed, that I have found my place in life, and that I actually enjoy
the life that I live.  So it is with sadness as I also view the many who
are not so fortunate, who are not as blessed, and who have not seen
their tears turn to joy, their despair turn to hope, and their
nothingness into everything.  It is to them, that my life now turns for
I now have much to repay, much to work for, and much hope to spread.
With that time I have left, I must work toward a better world, a better
way, and a better life for those -the many who know nothing but
hopelessness, whose days are filled with anxiety, and whose future looks
all too dim.  It is this future which I dedicate my life to changing.

rodney c..