THEDRUM Archives

November 2009

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Simpson, Yvette R. Esq" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Simpson, Yvette R. Esq
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:44:42 -0500
When I spoke to the student about this matter last night, I explained to her (in a loving and understanding way) why the costumes (the blackface in particular) are offensive to people of African descent.  She was clearly surprised, embarrassed, and extremely apologetic.  She will share this information with her friends and they are taking the pictures down.  This situation became a "teaching moment" for one of my students (and her friends) that I believe will stay with them.

Best,

Yvette