WMUB Archives

April 2000

WMUB@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:49:59 -0400
Today's talk shows on WMUB (http://www.wmub.org/Today.html)

Monday, April 24, 2000

Diane Rehm: Red Cross president Bernadine Healy; playwright Arthur
Laurents (author of "West Side Story," "Gypsy" and others)
Fresh Air: wrestler Bret the Hitman Hart
Public Interest: former FCC chairman Reed Hundt on the new Information Age
Talk of the Nation: a 'safer' cigarette? the death of the business suit
All Things Considered: the NPR 100: "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" by
Hank Williams, and his death on the way to a show in Ohio in 1953

For questions about Morning Edition, Talk of the Nation, or All
Things Considered, call NPR's Audience Services at (202) 414-3232.
For tapes and transcripts call toll-free 1-877-NPR-TEXT
(1-877-677-8398).

    The Diane Rehm Show, 10-12 noon (*2 full hours on WMUB)

Note: Diane has had another voice treatment. The show will have guest
hosts for a period of time while she recovers.

Guest host Susan Page of USA Today

10-11: Red Cross President Bernadine Healy: Bernadine ("BUR na deen")
Healy, former head of the National Institutes of Health, recently
took office as president of the American Red Cross.  She'll talk
about the Red Cross's work in the US and around the world as it
responds to emergencies of all kinds.

11-12: Arthur Laurents: Playwright, screenwriter, and director Arthur
Laurents ("LORE ents"  -- like the name Lawrence) recalls the glory
days of Hollywood and Broadway in his new memoir "Original Story By"
(Knopf).  He knew everyone who was anyone, had a lot of fun, survived
the blacklists and still managed to write "West Side Story," "Gypsy,"
"The Way We Were," and dozens more hits.

    Fresh Air with Terry Gross, 12:06-1 p.m.

Wrestler Bret the Hitman Hart. He's from one of wrestling's most
famous families. His father was a wrestling promoter. His brother was
killed while performing a wrestling stunt.

       For tapes and transcripts of Fresh Air, call Toll-Free 1-(877)-21-FRESH.

    Public Interest

Host: Kojo Nnamdi.

REED HUNDT WAS FCC CHAIRMAN FROM 1993 UNTIL 1997, OVERSEEING THE
AGENCY DURING AN IMPORTANT STAGE OF THE TECHNOLOGICAL REVOLUTION.  HE
JOINS KOJO FOR A DISCUSSION OF HIS NEW BOOK WHICH LOOKS AT THE
POLITICAL AND ECONOMIC DECISIONS THAT BOTH HELPED AND HURT US ON THE
WAY TO THE INFORMATION AGE.
         Guests: Reed Hundt, author of "You Say You Want a Revolution:
A Story of Information Age Politics" (Pub: Yale Univeristy Press);
former chairman of the FCC

    Talk of the Nation, 2-4 p.m. (*live on WMUB)

Host: Juan Williams

HOUR ONE: A SAFER CIGARETTE?: the so-called 'safer' cigarette-- is it
an advance for health, or just another marketing ploy for tobacco?

HOUR TWO:  DEATH OF THE BUSINESS SUIT: has the tilt toward casual
attire in the office has gone too far?

    All Things Considered, 4-7 p.m.

The NPR 100: the story of "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" by Hank
Williams, and the singer/songwriter's death on the way to a show in
Ohio in 1953.

    WMUB Forum, 9-10 a.m., repeated 7-8 p.m.

News Director Darrel Gray with an hour of conversations with guests,
and listener e-mail comments and questions
(http://www.wmub.org/forumcomment.html).

Friday, April 28: TBA

Cleve Callison <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
General Manager, WMUB Public Radio
**Celebrating 50 years of WMUB * 1950 * 2000**
Williams Hall, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056
513-529-5958, 513-529-6048 FAX
http://www.wmub.org