WMUB Archives

June 2000

WMUB@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 07:22:39 -0400
Today's talk shows on WMUB (http://www.wmub.org/Today.html)

Monday, June 19, 2000

Diane Rehm: Secretary of State Madeleine Albright; a new Norman
Rockwell exhibition
Fresh Air: the directors of the new animated film "Chicken Run"
Public Interest: summer reading
Talk of the Nation: campaign ads; today's Olympians
All Things Considered: the NPR 100: Brian Wilson' s"Good Vibrations"

For questions about Morning Edition, Talk of the Nation, or All
Things Considered, call NPR's Audience Services at (202) 414-3232.
For tapes and transcripts call toll-free 1-877-NPR-TEXT
(1-877-677-8398).

     The Diane Rehm Show, 10-12 noon (*2 full hours live on WMUB)

10-11: Secretary of State Madeleine Albright: Diane talks with
Madeleine Albright about serving as U.S. secretary of state for the
past several years. They'll talk about Korea, the Middle East,
Russia, Kosovo, and the challenges she's grappling with today.

11-12: Norman Rockwell Exhibit: Norman Rockwell is well-known for his
many cover illustrations for the "Saturday Evening Post", but his
work is rarely considered by art critics.  A new exhibit of his
paintings, currently on display at the Corcoran Gallery in
Washington, highlights the themes and the technical skill that marked
his career.  The painter's son Peter, and one of the show's curators
both join Diane for a discussion of Norman Rockwell's life and
artistic legacy.
         Guests: Peter Rockwell, sculptor and son of Norman Rockwell;
Maureen Hart Hennessey, chief curator, Norman Rockwell Museum

     Fresh Air with Terry Gross, 12:06-1 p.m.

The Great Escape...with chickens. There's a new clay animation
film:"Chicken Run." Terry talks with the directors Nick Park and
Peter Lord. You may be familiar with Nick Park's wonderful "Wallace
and Gromit" animated films.

        For tapes and transcripts of Fresh Air, call Burrelle's
toll-free at 1-877-21-FRESH (NEW number as of
        6/12/2000).

     Public Interest

Host: Kojo Nnamdi

SUMMERTIME MEANS LAZY DAYS ON THE BEACH AND LONG PLANE RIDES -- BOTH
PERFECT SETTINGS FOR READING A GOOD BOOK.  A PANEL OF LITERARY
EXPERTS JOIN KOJO TO DISCUSS THE SEASON'S BEST NOVELS, MEMOIRS, AND
NON-FICTION NOW LINING THE SHELVES AT YOUR FAVORITE BOOKSTORE.
         Guests: 1. Barbara Hoffert, Editor of Book Review at Library
Journal and President of the National Book Critics Circle; 2. Barbara
Meade, co-owner of Politics and Prose bookstore; 3. Mitchell  Melkin,
senior bookseller at Travel Book and Language; 4. Judy Hijikata,
manager and bookbuyer for Imagination Station children's bookstore;
5. Blanche Richardson, manager of Marcus Books in Oakland California
(www.marcusbooks.com)

     Talk of the Nation, 2-4 p.m.

Host: Juan Williams

HR 1: CAMPAIGN ADS: how much TV campaign ads affect the way we choose
a president

HR 2: OLYMPIANS: events that will make their Olympic debut this
summer in Sydney

     All Things Considered, 4-7 p.m.

In 1966, The Beach Boy's Brian Wilson tried to break away from the
surf and sand and shake up the AM radio dial. "I said this is going
to be one of the greatest reacords every produced and they all
started laughing at me. I said 'No, I'm serious, this is going to be
a great great record.'" The story of "Good Vibrations", next on the
NPR 100.

     WMUB Forum, 9-10 a.m., repeated 7-8 p.m.

News Director Darrel Gray hosts an hour of conversations with guests,
and listener e-mail comments and questions
(http://www.wmub.org/forumcomment.html).

Friday, June 23: TBA

Cleve Callison <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
General Manager, WMUB Public Radio
**Celebrating 50 years of WMUB * 1950 * 2000**
Williams Hall, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056
513-529-5958, 513-529-6048 FAX
http://www.wmub.org