WMUB Archives

April 1998

WMUB@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WMUB 88.5 FM
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 07:50:57 -0400
Today's talk shows on WMUB

Thursday, April 30, 1998

The Diane Rehm Show, 10-12 noon

      NOTE: Diane Rehm has been away from the show to recuperate from
laryngitis. At this time we expect her to return soon, perhaps during the
week of May 4.

      Guest host Susan Page of USA Today

      10-11: The War Against Parents: Economist Sylvia Ann Hewlett and
Harvard professor Cornel West are co-authors of "The War Against  Parents"
(Houghton Mifflin). They will talk about how our government and society
have failed to support our nation's families, and will present their
proposal for a "Parents' Bill of Rights."

      11-12: Cokie Roberts: Cokie Roberts is the co-anchor of "This Week"
on ABC and a political commentator for National Public Radio. Her book "We
Are Our Mother's Daughters" (William Morrow) is about the women who have
inspired her in her life, from her mother, former Congresswoman Lindy
Boggs, to trailblazing women in American history.

Fresh Air with Terry Gross, 12:06-1 p.m.

      Far Side cartoonist GARY LARSON. It's been more than three years
(1/1/95) since Larson stopped drawing his hugely successful Far Side comic,
he continues his comics in books. His latest is ""There's A Hair In My
Dirt! A Worm's Story." We'll talk to Larson  about his life and comics on
the next Fresh Air.

Public Interest, 1-2 p.m.

      DEINSTITUTIONALIZATION HAS MOVED THE MENTALLY ILL FROM MENTAL
HOSPITALS BACK INTO THE COMMUNITIES, MANY WORRY  THAT JAILS HAVE BECOME THE
PROVIDER OF MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES FOR A VAST NUMBER OF THE MENTALLY ILL.
GUESTS TALK ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES AND THE TREATMENT OF THE MENTALLY
ILL IN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM.

      Guests: 1. Dr. Andrea Weisman, Director of Mental Health Services at
the DC Jail; 2. (by phone) Linda Teplin, director of the psycho-  legal
studies program and professor of psychiatry at Northwestern University
Medical School; 3. Frank Hall, criminal justice and  corrections consultant
and former director of five state adult corrections systems and the
juvenile justice system in the state of New  York

Talk of the Nation, 2-4 p.m.

      Join Ray Suarez for a look at the pros and cons of Greek life on
college campuses...And in the second hour...Friday is May  Day...celebrated
worldwide as International Workers' Day...Join the conversation about "The
Communist Manifesto," the book that's  helped workers unite for 150
years...

      HOUR 1: Fraternities and Sororities

      HOUR 2: May Day

and on today's All Things Considered, 4-7 p.m.

      a violinist, on a Concerto written for HER. Anne-Sophie Mutter
(AHN-uh ZOH-fee MOOH-ter) says that she's not sure what composer  Krzyzstof
Penderecki (pehn-der-RETCH-kee) was thinking when he wrote the piece, but
she's glad that he chose to collaborate with her...and that she feels as if
the composition is their "spiritual child."

Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
General Manager, WMUB Public Radio
Williams Hall, Miami University, Oxford, OH
513-529-5958, 513-529-6048 FAX
http://www.muohio.edu/wmub/