ZOO408A Archives

September 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:45:46 -0400
Greetings... My guesses are 16 blue-winged warbler; 17 least flycatcher; 18
acadian flycatcher.

I was comfortable guessing least flycatcher on 17 without seeing the hint
photos--not that I'm an Empid expert (far from it), but because I'm in the
habit of calling little, small-billed, big-headed gray flycatchers with
short wings and smashed, oval eyerings "leasts." So I'm in for an
existential dilemma if it turns out I've been wrong about this all these
falls!

But the hint photo for 17 initially bothered me quite a bit, until I saw
that the ninth primary is hidden behind the longer P-8. Very tricky, Prof.
Russell. Very tricky! So I'm guessing it's a least based on the wing
morphology, the bright inner mouth, the tiny bill, and all that other stuff
. . . which I could be completely wrong about.

18 I never would have been able to guess at without the hints, which sent me
to the Pyle guide. I *think* the grayish legs and the pale inner mouth
lining, along with the wing shape and the rather "dull" plumage rule out
yellow-bellied, a species that I understand you banded based on what an
"informant" told me. So all things being equal, I think this is an acadian.

I'm curious to hear more about these birds, that's for sure.

Thanks again!

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester, OH