ZOO408A Archives

August 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:11:36 -0500
I visited the Treaty Line Road mudflats at Brookville Reservoir over
the past three days.  Highlights:

Wednesday morning, 29 August, very little present:
mainly Killdeer (65), a small number of "peeps" (2 Semi and 13 Least)
and 9 Pectoral Sandpiper, 4 Great Egrets

Thursday morning, 30 August:
no Great Egrets
Semipalmated Plover 3
Killdeer 105
Lesser Yellowlegs 1
RUDDY TURNSTONE 1 (molting into basic plumage, a different bird from
the one reported a few days ago  by Jan Stenger and David Russell
(photos))
Semipalmated Sandpiper 2
WESTERN SANDPIPER 2 (careful study, size of Semis, bill noticeably
long and drooping slightly toward tip)
Least Sandpiper 33
Pectoral Sandpiper 19

Friday afternoon, 31 August, virtually no shorebirds:
Great Egret 13
Killdeer 4
Pectoral Sandpiper 1
Caspian Tern 2

It would seem that a flux of shorebirds moved through associated with
the mild front that passed yesterday; now the mud flats' "slate" is
wiped clean for the next movement.

BTW,  I've been seeing Black Vultures regularly (1-3) over my home in
southern Wayne County (outskirts of Richmond).

Bill Buskirk
Biology Department
Earlham College
Richmond, IN 47374