ZOO408A Archives

November 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:20:45 -0500
Hi Mike (& everyone else).

My guess is that you're correct that the PIF estimate of 300 Prothonotary Warblers is a considerable underestimate of the actual population size.  Unfortunately, we don't have good data on the Breeding Bird Survey to determine population size or trends for Prothonotaries in the state.  The Breeding Bird Atlas may help to some degree, but it likewise has its own limitations because it's not really measuring abundance, but rather presence or absence of breeding individuals (i.e. it doesn't matter if you have 1, 10, or 100 confirmed breeders in a block, it's recorded the same way).  The Breeding Bird Atlas will help us identify where we need to do more intensive surveys to help ascertain the abundance of Prothonotary Warblers in the state, as well as local density at different sites.

Unfortunately, I was unable to track down Charlie Bombaci's data reports in time, because I did want to include that information.  For those reading this who are not aware, there are a couple of individuals in the state, Charlie Bombaci of Columbus being one and Dan Best of Geauga County Metroparks being another, who maintain nest box trails for Prothonotary Warblers.  Here in central Ohio, Charlie and several of his colleagues have established Prothonotary nest box trails at Hoover Reservoir, Alum Creek, and Delaware Reservoir (there may be a few other sites I'm not familiar with).  You'll notice on the list I did try to acknowledge the discrepancy between the PIF estimate and the success of the nest box trails by mentioning that these nest box trails have been successful at increasing local abundance.  If anything these nest box trails illustrate how some dedicated individual volunteers can make a huge difference for local populations of birds and make a big difference for a species has a whole.

In southwest Ohio I know we would occasionally see Prothonotary Warblers at Hueston Woods down in the woods near the beach.  Spring Valley Wildlife Area was also a common area to visit.  I'm sure other sites, like Shakertrace Wetlands or East Fork State Park or the Oxbow, regularly host Prothonotary Warblers.  If anyone is interested in starting their own Prothonotary Warbler nest box trail those might be good places to start, if there isn't one there already.

Henslow's Sparrow habitats, like you've noted, is not necessarily dependent upon the types of grasses, but rather the age and structure of the habitat itself.  I think Henslow's seem to prefer grasslands that are at least 3 or 4 years old and have had an opportunity to build up some complexity and density of vegetation in which to hide and skulk.  Annual mowing or burning schedules, even delayed until after the breeding season, doesn't allow for the necessary density and complexity to build to levels appealing to Henslow's Sparrows.  Management for Henslow's Sparrows sets up a mowing rotation with some fields being mowed once every 3-5 years.

It's unfortunate to hear that the Miami Univ. fields were mowed prior to the breeding season--especially at the Ecology Research Center (that's disappointing).  Presumably (hopefully) those fields must have been involved in some sort of research project that required them to be mowed at that time.  Hopefully, as Bill Heck mentioned, someone or some group could advocate for better management practices on university lands.

Thanks,

Casey