ZOO408A Archives

February 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:17:21 -0500
In the driving snow this morning the Ornithology class was able to find the
beautiful male Eurasian Wigeon at Camp Dennison. Thanks to some early leg
work by Jeff Brown, he was able to direct us to the wigeon flock that had
moved from yesterdays location [it had moved to the pit at the far north
(?) adjacent to the river and right next to the bridge on 126  (behind
Indian Hill Winter Sports Center or something like that)] due disturbance
in the main pit [a boat apparently sinking Christmas trees for structure].
Unfortunately the snow was so heavy we had difficulty seeing even half-way
across the pit.  Among all the ducks species previously reported, we had a
chance to see and compare a single Cackling Goose among a small flock of
Canada's present.  We didn't find the Long-tailed Duck, but visibility was
terrible.
Hopefully the wigeon will stay for a while!
Cheers
Dave