ZOO408A Archives

November 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:51:38 -0500
I've been out a few hours on four dates since last Saturday -- all in
the Brookville Lake area.  Concentrations of Bonaparte's Gulls at the
Lake, especially on the mudflats off Whitewater State Park, some duck
movement, a late PECTORAL SANDPIPER and concentrations of BLACK
VULTURES  have been noteworthy.  I'm going to include some Brookville
Lake records from Jay Stenger, Joe Bens and Jack Stenger for 21
November for the Indiana archives.

17 November (Union Co., Brookville Lake at WWSP and WWSP; Franklin
Co. at Sagamore and Fairfield Causeway)
Bufflehead 35
Hooded Merganser 79 (BL@WWSP)
Common Merganser 1 (Fairfield Causeway, Franklin Co.)
Pied-billed Grebe 23
Double-crested Cormorant 6 (BL@WWSP)
Great Blue Heron 7
BLACK VULTURE 128 (mostly lounging on and around the concession stand
in WWSP near their roost site; many were on the ground and allowed me
to walk past them/through them at distances as close as 20 feet; most
galloped out of my way, some flew short distances.)
Turkey Vulture 21
Sandhill Crane 15
Killdeer 330
Dunlin 6
Wilson's Snipe 1
Bonaparte's Gull 490
Ring-billed Gull 170

19 November (Union Co., Brookville Lake at WWSP and WWSP)
Gadwall 23 (Silver Lake in Whitewater State Park)
American Black Duck 1 (Brookville Lake)
Bufflehead 22
Common Goldeneye 1 (WWSP)
Hooded Merganser 86 (BL@WWSP)
Ruddy Duck 60 (Franklin Co. between Sagamore and Fairfield Causeway)
Common Loon 1 (WWSP on Silver Lake)
Double-crested Cormorant 6 (BL@WWSP)
Great Blue Heron 13
Black Vulture 141
Turkey Vulture 7
Sandhill Crane 14
Killdeer 220
Dunlin 1
Bonaparte's Gull 320
Ring-billed Gull 150

21 November (Union Co., Brookville Lake at WWSP and WWSP)
Hooded Merganser 144 (BL@WWSP)
Double-crested Cormorant 5 (BL@WWSP) (Stenger et al. reported 8 this date.)
Great Blue Heron 20 (Stenger et al. reported 30+ this date.)
BLACK VULTURE 152 (Stenger et al. reported 167 this date.)  Night
roosts are at two locations, WWSP and along the entrance road to
Sagamore Resort (usually on high power line stanchions).
Turkey Vulture 45
Sandhill Crane (Stenger et al. reported 46 this date.)
Killdeer 85 (Stenger et al. reported 125+ this date.)
PECTORAL SANDPIPER 1 (mudflats off WWSP)
Dunlin 5 (Stenger et al. reported 13 this date.)
Wilson's Snipe (Stenger et al. reported 3 this date.)
Bonaparte's Gull 350 (Stenger et al. reported 600 this date.)
Ring-billed Gull 45 (Stenger et al. reported 250 this date.)
CEDAR WAXWING 12 (Stenger et al. reported 380 this date.)

22 November (Union Co., Brookville Lake at WWSP and WWSP; Franklin
Co. Sagamore, Mounds, and Dam)
Nortern Pintail 2 (off Sagamore Resort)
Canvasback 2 (Sagamore)
Ring-necked Duck 45 (Sagamore)
Lesser Scaup 20 (Sagamore)
Bufflehead 85 (Union and Franklin Cos)
Hooded Merganser 92 (BL@WWSP)
Red-breasted Merganser 2 (Franklin Co, BL Dam)
Ruddy Duck 10
Common Loon 13 (Mounds and Dam)
Pied-billed Grebe 13
Horned Grebe 3 (Sagamore)
Double-crested Cormorant 7 (BL@WWSP)
Great Blue Heron 19
Black Vulture 121
Turkey Vulture 22
Killdeer 350
PECTORAL SANDPIPER 1 (mudflats off WWSP)
Dunlin 2
Bonaparte's Gull 390
Ring-billed Gull 56
Herring Gull 3 (Dam, first-cycle)