ZOO408A Archives

February 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:43:05 -0500
Greetings.... I wanted to ask a couple questions of the list regarding DDT.
It was blamed for a lot of the problems effecting birds in the 50s through
the 70s or thereabouts. The banning of DDT in North America is often
credited with allowing the comeback of Bald Eagles, Peregrine Falcons, and
other raptors.

DDT is also an excellent malaria fighter, and today malaria remains a deadly
problem in large portions of the world.

My understanding is that DDT is still used throughout the world, but not as
much as some say it should be. I've read various op-ed pieces which claim
that DDT effects upon birds are exaggerated if not untrue, and they claim
that research proves this. I'm not aware of what studies they are citing,
though, and op-eds that claim Rachel Carson is responsible for more deaths
than Hitler and Stalin combined make me a bit suspicious of both the angle
of the writer and the source material. I've also heard people who work with
raptors argue that egg shell thinning problems, which they attribute to DDT,
remains a problem for birds such as Bald Eagles and Osprey. I remember an
ODOW supervisor commenting in Cincinnati a few years back that egg shell
thinning problems still occur in a number of Bald Eagle nests around Lake
Erie.

So I was wondering if anyone on the list has read through any of the new
literature about DDT, which supposedly supports the argument that it is not
harmful to birds and wildlife. Where are the various researchers coming down
on the effects--both positive and negative--of DDT? Is the pro-DDT research
by reputable sources; has it been peer reviewed, tested, etc.?

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester, OH