ZOO408A Archives

May 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2006 11:51:26 -0400
Greetings... I thought I'd send along a quick note on "The Shorebird Guide"
by O'Brien, Crossely, and Karlson. I've looked through it a little, and it
is pretty much as advertised, in that it's a bit different from some of the
guides we're used to. The format is consistent for each species and stays
true to the authors' intentions of stressing size, shape, and behavior over
plumage as initial ID starters. The photos are an interesting mix of
standard field guide fare, wildlife "pin up" style pics, as well as some
rather technically bad photos, which simulate some of the views we get of
these birds in the field--too far away, a little blurry or poorly lit,
overly lit, hiding behind vegetation, etc. There are also "quizzes"
scattered throughout the book--pick out the lone nonbreeding plumaged
Western Sandpiper in a photo filled with nonbreeding Dunlins, and that sort
of thing. Answers in the appendix. I've found the few quizzes I took to be
humbling.

There's also a conservation and habitat-preservation and creation stress in
the book--not so much in the ID section, though there's a little there, but
in the species accounts and opening of the book. It's an interesting book.

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester, OH