ZOO408A Archives

April 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:15:38 -0400
The Ornithology class of 2004 had a great trip to Crane Creek this past
weekend. We wound up with 120 species including great looks at everything
from Prothonotary and Black-throated Green Warblers, to Cattle Egret,
Screech Owl, baby Horned Owls, Scarlet Tanager, and hosts of other
migrants. We even saw a Surf Scoter at Lake St. Mary's. Raptors included
Bald Eagles, Broad-winged, Sharp-shinned, Coopers Hawks, Northern Harriers,
and a Merlin. The Trumpeter Swans were in a field right next to the road,
making for exciting viewing! Several of us spent a agonizing 10-15 minutes
watching a Screech Owl apparently try to cough up a pellet, no luck,
eventually went back to sleep (picture included)
Everything went smoothly (no problems with the navigator this year! (haha))
and we all made it back in one piece.
Dave