ZOO408A Archives

September 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:06:38 -0400
Greetings... About thirty people attended a birding tour of the Fernald site
this morning. They broke us up into five or six groups, and gave us a
sampling of the site. They believe the cleanup, which is costing something
in the neighborhood of many billions of dollars, will be completed by June
2006, after which public access to the area should become more open.

My group didn't come across a lot of birds, but other groups reported at
least two Connecticut warblers, an olive-sided flycatcher, and an osprey, in
addition to other birds. I imagine a combined list of some sort will appear
on the Birding in Cincinnati site one of these days.

They are very welcoming of tours and field trips; as well, they're
interested in finding people willing to help document the bird life there
via surveys or other projects. Miami University and University of Dayton are
doing some work--mostly on plant restoration and deer browsing, as I
understand, and we some of their study plots--but they would be open to
other projects, too. Most of the area is in Hamilton County, but there's a
healthy chunk of it in Butler County up to about State Route 126 west of
Ross.

There's a large buffer area around the actual nuclear processing site that
was supposedly never used for storing or burying waste. This buffer area
includes some nice riparian corridor along Paddy's Run, as well as some
mature woodlots, open fields, and that sort of thing. Imagine the variety of
habitats at nearby Miami-Whitewater Forest and Westlands jumbled up and
pitched into the Great Miami River valley, and that's roughly what Fernald
is: mature forest, open fields, wetlands, riparian, etc. It's a rather
promising site.

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester, OH