ZOO408A Archives

April 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:19:33 -0400
To add to this...one of the reasons to offer 2 or three boxes near one another is that bluebirds will tolerate other species nesting near them, but won't tolerate conspecifics.  You can place boxes back-to-back on the same fence post.  In this case you may have a Tree Swallow on one side of the post and a bluebird on the other side.   You can also place nest boxes on 3 fence posts in a row, and, hopefully, Tree Swallows will take up residency in the two outer boxes and a bluebird in the middle box.

Another hypothesis to placing multiple boxes in close proximity is that it allows the bluebirds to have a box, and gives starlings and house sparrows an easier alternative than trying to fight with a bluebird to steal the box.  This is only an hypothesis and no confirmation.

If you're having problems with House Sparrows and Starlings some bird-feeding & bird-housing specialty stores (Wild Birds Unlimited) carry special traps that fit on the inside of bluebird houses.  They allow you to trap your resident house sparrows or starlings.  You may ask, "What do we do with the birds we catch?"  Well, you can legally dispatch House Sparrows and Starlings because they are non-native nuisance species.  A more humane alternative is to find a wildlife rehab center that needs feeder birds for its birds of prey, and see if they will accept them.  Some will & some won't so it's best to call ahead.  The obvious first place to check is Hueston Woods, but also near you is the Glen Helen Raptor Center, and potentially Raptor Inc. in Cincy.  The only problem with these bird house traps is that you have to regularly check the boxes to make sure you're not trapping bluebirds or swallows.

Good luck!

Casey