ZOO408A Archives

February 2008

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2008 15:08:19 -0500
Evan Dalton, Dan Albrecht-Mallinger and I visited Brookville Lake
this morning.  We basically began at the Dam in Franklin Co., checked
the tail waters on the west side of Brookville, then hit Garr Hill
Ramp, Mounds State Recreation Area and the Fairfield Causeway.  The
lake still has a thin area of ice over most of its surface, but
compared to the last couple of weeks when it was mostly frozen, it is
about 25% open.  Highlights:

Canada Goose 125
Gadwall 21
American Black Duck 135
Mallard 350
Northern Pintail 1
Redhead 12 (Dam and Tail Waters downstream)
Lesser Scaup 3
Bufflehead 11
Common Goldeneye 45 (active courtship)
HOODED MERGANSER 270 (careful count, all-time high count in my
records at any season for BrookvilleL.)
Common Merganser 9
Wild Turkey 4 (visitor's center at dam)
Great Blue Heron 3
Black Vulture 44 (all but 2 on or over a deer carcass just of SR 101
north of the Union/Franklin County line); 2 over Brookville town.
TURKEY VULTURE 1 (over Brookville town), Franklin Co.
Bald Eagle 2
Red-shouldered Hawk 2 (1 in Mounds near the beach, 1 at west end of
Fairfield Causeway)
Red-tailed Hawk 16 (several in pairs perched near one another)
American Coot 77
Ring-billed Gull 115
Herring Gull 1
Pileated Woodpecker 7
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1 (Dam)
Fox Sparrow 3 (under feeder 2/3 way into the beach at Mounds)

Morning's total species: 51

Bill Buskirk
Biology Department
Earlham College