ZOO408A Archives

April 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:11:22 -0400
Greetings... Henslow's sparrows and bobolinks are back at the Voice of
America, though in low numbers, but it's early. There were three singing
Henslow's sparrows, and two male bobolinks on Saturday morning. Also, two
soras and between 50-75 Wilson's snipe.

At Gilmore Ponds on Sunday, despite the constant rain, drizzle, and fog,
there were some interesting birds. Three hooded warblers were a
surprise--they're unusual at Gilmore Ponds and three in one day is a big
surprise. One sora, which is always nice to have at a wetland, after all.
One sub-adult (maybe a second year) herring gull--unusual for Gilmore Ponds,
but not for other places. Also, northern waterthrushes can be found just
about anywhere around South Pond, as can prothonotary warblers. Catbirds are
back in force. No mosquitoes yet, but just a wait a couple weeks. I was
doing some yard work this weekend and found many, many, many cicadas just
under the soil or popping out of their holes, apparently forced out a little
early do to the heavy rains the past few days. I wasn't here seventeen years
ago, so I'm curious about this Brood X emergence. Those familiar assure me I
won't be so curious three weeks from now.

How did the Magee Marsh and Crane Creek trip go?

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester, OH