ZOO408A Archives

January 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:03:34 -0500
I just returned from my Ornithology Class field trip to Middlefork
Reservoir (northern Richmond, Wayne Co.).  The class held up pretty
well in the wind chill - warmed by a couple of great birds!!
Highlights:

ROSS'S GOOSE - 2, great views, bill characters distinct and clearly
seen, virtually all of the students identified them as Ross'
independently when asked to compare and contrast field marks for Snow
and Ross'.  Birds were restless, last seen flying off to the north.
Canada Goose 1900
Mallard 15
Red-tailed Hawk 2
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK 1 light phase, hard to find in east central Indiana.
Ring-billed Gull 450
Herring Gull 19

Bill Buskirk
Biology Department