ZOO408A Archives

May 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 12:51:48 -0400
Hi All,

I had the privelege of being invited to attend the banding of four
Peregrine Falcon chicks today in downtown Columbus.

It was pretty impressive to watch.  The four chicks (3 female & 1 male)
were brought into a room where they were each banded with a federal band
and a special two-colored coded band that is more easily read.

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/276/4443/1024/IMG_7495.jpg

After being banded each bird had a small amount of blood drawn for analysis.

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/276/4443/1024/IMG_7505.jpg

As a special treat I was invited out to watch the chicks returned to the
nest box where I had the opportunity to get a quick glimpse of their rather
angry mother, Victory, as she decided to make an aggressive stand against
the three Division of Wildlife biologists, and she wasn't backing down.
The male made high speed strafing runs at the biologists while they were
perched on the ledge of the Rhodes tower, 41 floors above the street below.

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/276/4443/1024/IMG_7525.jpg

The four chicks were also given names suggested by local school children.
The four names chosen were Tempest, Velocity, Zeus, and Thunderbolt.

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/276/4443/1024/IMG_7474.jpg

To see a live web-cam of the Columbus chicks visit:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/falcons/default.htm

Enjoy!

Casey