ZOO408A Archives

March 2008

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Buskirk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 18:53:47 -0500
I spent the late morning and early afternoon at Whitewater State
Park, Brookville Lake and the flooded field areas near Bath.
Highlights by location (uppercase species are my personal first of
year birds, but I haven't been out lately):

Whitewater State Park, Union Co.:
Wood Duck 1
Redhead 1
Ring-necked Duck 29
Lesser Scaup 98
Bufflehead 43 (high number)
Hooded Merganser 7
Common Loon 1 (on Brookville Lake)
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT 66
Black Vulture 16
Turkey Vulture 175 (vultures in traditional roost site at the
fish-cleaning station)

Hanna Creek Ramp access road, Union Co.:
Black Vulture 11 (feeding on deer carcass hanging from fence where
its hind hoof was snagged)
Turkey Vulture 20
BROWN THRASHER 1
Fox Sparrow 2

Sagamore Resort and Buck Point Golf Club, Union Co portions
(waterfowl on flooded edges of golf course fairways):
Gadwall 6
American Wigeon 2
Am. Black Duck 3
BLUE-WINGED TEAL 48
Northern Shoveler 5
Green-winged Teal 24
American Coot 180
Bonaparte's Gull 7
Ring-billed Gull 10 (low number)

Bath flooded fields (along Dare and Bath Roads, Franklin Co.; several
drainage ditches clogged and backed up):
GREATER YELLOWLEGS 9
LESSER YELLOWLEGS 2
Wilson's Snipe 1
Bonaparte's Gull 16 (one in alternate plumage)
Rusty Blackbird 20 (in flooded woods on Dare Road south of Bath)
American Pipit 21

Clifton Road, just east of US 27, Union Co.:
VESPER SPARROW 1 (seen, not singing)

Bill Buskirk
Biology Department
Earlham College